Sunday 1 April 2012

Update - "And I would ride 100 miles"

At least, I would have had my knees been OK , more of which later...

The lighter nights now mean that we can squeeze in rides after work. On Friday, I went round our local 10 mile "hilly" loop at a steady average of just over 16 mph.

On Saturday, we planned to do another "50", this time over a new route, looping north past Wokingham then south to Hook and Aldershot before heading north again. To mirror what we are planning to do on the ride itself, we planned to stop at 25 miles to fill up bottles and eat.

The ride went well, with no major problems other than my inability to ride Beacon Hill (past Farnham) at anything other than a crawl. but I DID ride it, without stopping. The same goes for the following climb up to Aldershot.

The ride, including stops, took us around 3 hrs 50 minutes with a rough average speed of 15mph.

Initially we planned to repeat this on Sunday, but on Saturday evening I had problems with my knees leading to fitful sleep and a decision to reduce today's ride to our smaller 26 mile loop (see the Check Test Ride post from the 19th March). The weather was glorious and the ride was good , despite my knees, and the two hills went even better than on the 19th again.

Total for the weekend for me 86miles, for Phil 76 miles (though he will get more riding in this week, more than making up any difference).

Feeling a little tired and stiff, but I'm happy with where we are at the moment and I have "a plan" of where we need to be each month as we get closer to the ride itself.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment